Belle Plain was located six miles southeast of Baird in Callahan County, and was established in 1876. It was the first county seat of Callahan County, and in addition to the stone jail, had several stores, saloons, fraternal lodges, lawyers, physicians, and a newspaper.
When the railroad bypassed Belle Plain and the county seat was moved to Baird, the town and most of its population relocated. The stone jail was dismantled and relocated to Baird in 1883. The most recent use of the building is as a meeting place for Cub Scouts.