Lafayette County courthouse in Arkansas was constructed 1940-1942 as a project of the Works Progress Administration. WPA funded 40% of the $100,000 courthouse (Arkansas Historic Preservation Program). Architects were Clippard and Vaught. The courthouse
…reflected a restrained interpretation of Art Deco style typical of WPA courthouses.
Lafayette County was named in honor of the Marquis de Lafayette. In 1905, the pronunciation was altered to “luh-fay-ut” (hello, Oxford, Mississippi) in order to be “less French-sounding” (Arkansas Historic Preservation Program).
The street that runs through downtown Lewisville was also paved by a WPA project.