The City Hall/Fire Station project for Mount Vernon, Texas was approved in 1940 with an appropriation of $4,711 in WPA funds. The two-story, natural stone building was constructed with an estimated total cost of $8,100 (“City Hall project for Mt. Vernon approved,” The Paris News (Paris, Texas), 21 April 1940, p. 3).
The building will contain a garage for two fire trucks and the second floor will be an auditorium.
City offices were located on the first floor. The building is currently in use as a museum.