The NRHP nomination form describes this courthouse as the “…finest extant example of the Art Deco style within the city of Hope, Arkansas. Its horizontal symmetrical massing, set back rooflines and stylized Art Deco ornamentation are all identifying characteristics of the style that became the dominant architectural idiom for Depression-era public works courthouses throughout the state” (Story, 1994). The county applied for PWA funds August 1, 1938. The courthouse was constructed for $200,000, through a $110,000 loan and a $90,000 grant (PWA fund granted). The central part of the courthouse is five stories, with two-story wings on the north and sound elevations. It is ornamented with recessed chevron panels, and the entrance is ornamented with concrete relief panels depicting professions and industry. The entrance also features sunburst motifs and an eagle.
Began in 1939 and completed in 1940, Architect B. W. Edwards designed the building. Contractors were McAninch and Anderson.