Holmes County’s Queen Anne/Romanesque courthouse in Lexington was built in 1894 (MDAH Historic Resources Inventory). The architect was Walter Chamberlain & Co., and the builder was R. Jesty & Company. Chamberlain was out of Knoxville/Birmingham, and Jesty from Winona via immigration from Bere-Regis, England, to Vaiden (MDAH/HRI). Jesty also owned a lumber company and brick yard.
Since Lexington was founded specifically to serve as the seat of government for Holmes County, the town exhibits more formal planning than many other towns of similar size in Mississippi. Its courthouse square is decidedly the symbolic (although not geographic) heart of town, and the courthouse itself is situated on a high point that can be seen from all major approaches. (J. V. O. Baughn, 2000, nomination form for Lexington Historic District National Register of Historic Places)
The red-brick two story structure is topped with an imposing clock tower. Each of the four sides of the courthouse features a “tetrastyle portico” with cast iron columns (Todd Sanders, 1994, NRHP nomination form for Courthouse Complex).
The detail picture shows one of the four “square, pyramidal-roofed towers” featured on each corner of the building, with pediment “containing a bas-relief sunburst pattern” (Sanders).