The Eclectic style old City Hall of Tampa was designed by M. Leo Elliott and B. C. Bonfoey and constructed in 1915 by McGucken and Hyer contractors. The drawings for the city hall were completed in 1914 by H. G. Perring Engineering Company. The tower is seven stories, including the two in the bell and clock tower.
The clock is known as “Hortense the Beautiful” after the young girl who spearheaded the fundraising drive to purchase a clock. Cost of construction was $235,000. A twin annex of the first three floors was added in 1916 to serve as the police station. That annex has been demolished, as have other early buildings that were near by.