The Standard Oil Company building is located on the site of the old Bowman Hotel, constructed in 1857 and burned in 1863 during the Civil War (Historic Jackson Walking Tour, MDAH). It housed a full-service gas station, to the left of the photo.
The building formally opened February 5, 1927 (Biloxi Daily Herald, February 3, 1927, p. 7).
In recent years this site was occupied by the old Wilkinson home. This was a large building and has been moved to the State Fair Grounds as a donation by the Standard Oil Company, and put in use as a Woman’s Building.
Before the Wilkinson home was built, this corner was the site of the old Bowman Hotel, one of the famous hostelries in the South in the sixties, and the gathering place of the young blades of that time.
The new building was erected as the district headquarters for Mississippi division of the Standard Oil Company of Kentucky due to increased business. The architect was William Edwin Glossop of Louisville, Kentucky, construction engineer of the Standard Oil Company. The “symmetrical two-story Italian Renaissance Revival building of stuccoed masonry, with a hipped tile roof” (MDAH Historic Resources Inventory) was described by the Daily Herald:
…this building is a striking example of the combination of beauty and efficiency in the modern office building, and will be a handsome addition to Jackson’s business district. The exterior is terra-cotta trimmed with granite, and the roofs [sic] is of red spanish tile, which gives the building prominence from a distance. From the main entrance on Amite Street, one enters a spacious vestibule and then the corridor, with marble floors and walls. A marble stairway leading to the second floor is located on this corridor.
Additional photographs can be viewed at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History resources page. You can read about the roofing repair (and a bit about tile roofing in general) at Preservation in Mississippi.