Monthly Archives: August 2015

Cameron School, Nashville

Cameron Street High School was one of two schools for African Americans in Nashville prior to desegregation.  The final all-black class graduated in 1971.  The Gothic Revival styled school was designed by architect Henry C. Hibbs and constructed 1939-1940 with … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , ,

Kendrick Place

The Victorian Vernacular row houses are named for preservationist and visionary for a downtown Knoxville revival Kristopher Kendrick.  Built in 1916 for “utility and comfort” (Historic Downtown Knoxville Walking Tour, KnoxHeritage.org), the houses feature projecting iron balconies and neoclassical influences … Continue reading

Posted in Knoxville, Victorian | Tagged , | 2 Comments

New Sprankle Building: Home to the Tennessee Valley Authority

Originally known as “The New Sprankle Building” in honor of the developer, Benjamin Sprankle, what is now the Pembroke was constructed in 1927, across the street from one of Sprankle’s other buildings, the Daylight.  Constructed in a “commercial vernacular style” … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized

Daylight Building

Knoxville’s Daylight Building (501-517 Union Street) was constructed in 1927 by real estate developer Benjamin H. Sprankle.  According to KnoxHeritage.org and the Historic Downtown Knoxville Walking Tour, the building housed the engineering staff of the Tennessee Valley Authority from 1933 … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | 4 Comments

Spengler’s Corner, part 2

Only 4 of the buildings picture above are in Spengler’s Corner Historic District.  The two buildings to the far right are c. 1940 and c. 1895.  No. 129 is the former Stag Club Building, built by H. M. Taylor Construction … Continue reading

Posted in Mississippi | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Spengler’s Corner

Part of the Spengler’s Corner Historic District in downtown Jackson, these three buildings occupy mid-block in the 100 block of North State street. …prominently sited grouping of twelve late-nineteenth and early-twentieth-century brick commercial buildings…(Jack A. Gold, 1979, National Register of … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Electrification, Lenoir City, Tennessee Post Office.

David Stone Martin’s 1940 mural, Electrification, was one of the 48 state post office mural competitions.  The tempura on cardboard mural reflected the transformation of the rural south due to the Tennessee Valley Authority and the Rural Electrification Administration efforts … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | 5 Comments