Over the past few days, we have visited the original East Tupelo high school building, constructed in 1936, and toured the canning plant constructed circa 1940. We finish up the visit today with a brief look at the new class room (and current entrance) constructed in 1952. Architect was Feemster & Connett, and renovations were completed in 1992 (MDAH Historic Resources Inventory).
There are five classroom buildings identified in the MDAH database for Lawhon, including 2 that are not extant from circa 1930. The gymnasium, which is of the same design as other gyms built in the late 1930s and 1940s, is not listed in the historic resources inventory, however, it is identified in the 1935 news article that published the approval to build the high school and teacher’s home. A cafeteria c. 1955, and music rooms are listed in addition to the classroom buildings added in the late 1950s. The unidentified building (seen from the rear, on Wayside Street) is not identified in the inventory, but the Google map view shows it as a stand-alone building located behind the 1952 elementary building. All buildings are connected with covered sidewalks.