The stone picnic shelter in Wasena Park, Roanoke, VA was constructed during the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The land for the park was donated to the city in 1934, and landscape architect A. A. Farnham was selected to develop the plan for the park and amenities, including the stone picnic shelter. Several sources refer to the construction of the shelter and other amenities by the CCC “in the 1930s).
Blanton, A. S. (2011). Wasena Historic District. Nomination form for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Department of Interior.
Harris, N. (2007). Greater Raleigh Court: A History of Wasena, Virginia Heights, Norwich, and Raleigh Court. Charleston, SC: The History Press.
Townsend, B. (2010). Wasena Historic District. Virginia Department of Historic Resources Information Sheet.