Meridian’s Lauderdale County Courthouse was substantially redesigned by a Public Works Administration funded grant. The 1905 Beaux Arts building designed by P. J. Krouse was
transformed into an Art Deco structure. (Linda Ford, 2004, Meridian Downtown Historic District nomination form for National Register of Historic Places)
Along with architect L. L. Brasfield, Krouse replaced the traditional dome and other classic Beaux Arts elements with a 3-story setback tower, curved walls, and altered the portico.
Beaux Arts entry was visually flattened with horizontal stone bands replacing the pediment. (Ford)
The addition and renovations added a jail along with the renovations to the building itself. A grant of $127,147 was approved June 22, 1938 toward the estimated $282,550 total cost (Report No. 5, Status of completed non-Federal allotted projects, Region No. 3, Mississippi, W 1182, Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 105, January 3, 1940). A $140,000 bond issue went to the voters in September (Supervisors map Lauderdale bond issue of $140,000, September 10, 1938, Clarion-Ledger). Bids were advertised in October, the $267,528 contract was awarded in November, and the project was completed December 4, 1939.