This is our last walk down North Third Street, for a stop at the Simon Mansion, no. 41. It is now known as the Third Street Alliance for Women & Children. The “High Renaissance Chateau” was built in 1902, designed by William Marsh Michler for Herman Simon (Richard F. Hope, Easton History).
…constructed of Indiana limestone on a granite base, roofed in Vermont red slate with copper ornamentation. The interior includes ‘Spanish leather, Italian marble, ‘Delft’ (Amsterdam), Bavarian and Mercer tiles, South American mahogany and Caen stone’ with stained glass by Nicola D’Ascenzo, parquet floor and frescoed ceilings.
With 15,000 square feet and 43 rooms, the mansion properly reflected Herman Simon’s status as a silk manufacturer credited with building “the largest individual silk, ribbon and velvet manufacturing business in the world.” That was a lot of ribbon to finance this mansion on Easton’s “Millionaires Row.”