The borough park in Nazareth, Pennsylvania is an example of the park recreational facilities constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the New Deal Administration of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. This automobile traffic bridge directs traffic across a small stream just inside the park entrance.
Like much of the work of the WPA, they used locally available stone, and on many of these constructions, carved WPA and the date into the stone rather than lay a separate cornerstone.
There are at least two small footbridges within the park, allowing visitors to cross the small streams. Rocks and concrete were used to reinforce the stream beds, although much of that has deteriorated over the years since the work was completed in 1937 and 1938.
WPA also constructed a swimming pool for the Nazareth Borough park, which was used from its opening in 1937 until just recently. Even though the pool remained in use until 2013, potential structural damage reached a point of no return. The existing pool filter was unable to filter and recycle the water quickly enough to meet current health standards–it was a large pool–and new filter systems were too powerful (allegedly) for the old pool walls to withstand the increased pressure.