112 E. Humphreys Street is a c. 1905
Two-story masonry commercial building stuccoed and scored to resemble stone block construction. Two inset panels in parapet for signage contain round vents. Parapet capped with metal. Three symmetrically place arched headed window openings contain keystones. The windows have been replaced with double vertical panes and partially in-filled with wood. Between the second story windows and storefront are four arched partial window openings with double horizontal panes topped by in-fill. Ground level store front contains central four-light transom flanked by three-light transoms; all have been either boarded or painted over. Original metal pilasters are stamped with ‘Chickasaw Iron Works, Memphis, TN.’ All ground level fenestration has been either changed or covered with vertical wood panels and an entry placed to the left. (Gatlin & Tietz, 2009)
The building is still considered contributing to the “small but mainly intact two block commercial area in the center of town along Humphreys and Front Streets” (Gatlin & Tietz, 2009).
108 E. Humphreys Street is identified as the former Mr. P’s Barber Shop, c. 1915. Although also remodeled with infill windows and lower window and transom infill, it appears as if the basic structure of the facade is still intact, and it is considered contributing to the downtown historic district, unlike the former post office next door.
Two-story painted rough-faced cement block commercial building with flat parapet topped with a metal cap. Four-bay second story contains a pair of windows flanked by single windows. All have been replaced with undersized panes and wood in-fill and have cast concrete sills and headers. Main entry contains double single-light over recessed panel doors. Canted full-length fixed panes flank the doorway and adjoin large fixed display windows over low wooden knee wall. Secondary entrance is single solid wood door to the left. A sloping shingled awning [since removed] shelters entire front facade and obscures boarded four-light transom [now visible]. (Gatlin & Tietz, 2009)
A “disastrous conflagration” occurred in 1902 when six stores on Lake Front belonging to Mr. P. Cohen were destroyed (Greenwood Enterprise, Aug 15, 1902). The Indianola Enterprise reported “At one time it looked as if the entire town would be destroyed but the heroic efforts of the bucket brigade succeeded in confining it to that section. Four or five larger stores were completely consumed with all their contents entailing a loss of $40,000 or $50,000, covered partly by insurance” (Aug 22, 1902). A downtown fire in 1898 originated in Mr. J. L. Haley’s store and “soon the whole town was in ashes” and every business in town was destroyed except for two small stores, “one owned by a Chinaman” (Weekly Democrat-Times, 11 Jun 1898, p. 2). The Democratic-Herald reported only the stores of J. J. Long & Co., and P. Collins were not destroyed (16 Jun 1898, p. 1).
Gatlin & Tietz reported that the downtown area largely was rebuilt to its current configuration by 1909.