The annex to the former post office was completed in 1935, and is easily distinguished by the brick color, flat roof, and lack of cornice. To go backward yet again in the story, in 1932, the Garner Relief Bill carried a public works provision that promised 45 post offices for Mississippi, direct relief, and additional monies for the reconstruction corporation for loans to states, cities, counties, individuals and corporations. Post offices proposed for Mississippi included $90,000 for Natchez (Clarion-Ledger, May 27, 1932, p. 1). Congressman Russell Ellzey announced construction for the annex was scheduled to begin after the completion of plans. Funds in the amount of $90,000 were approved in 1932 and available in 1933 (Clarion-Ledger, Feb. 15, 1933, p. 5). However, by 1934, the post office expenditure had been reduced to $50,000 (Hattiesburg American, June 30, 1934).
Construction work by Pittman Brothers of New Orleans was begun in February 1935.
The east wall of the present building is being torn out by the workmen and the building extended to provide additional needed space. The work will be well under way within the next few days. (Clarion-Ledger, Feb. 22, 1935, p. 4)
Just for fun, here is how the post office looked as originally constructed: