Right next to the Sarah Smith Russell house was originally home to another of Eliza Smith’s daughters, Frances, and her husband John Stevens. Stevens was a police patrolman in Natchez, and retired in 1918 after 30 years of service. The house is a c. 1890 (Mary Warren Miller dates it between 1886-1892) Queen Anne that appears to have the same type of replacement front doors as the Smith home next door. Additionally, the upstairs balcony door is an aluminum glass whose size does not match doors or windows, and bears evidence the clapboard siding was altered for the new door.
A corner octagonal tower with finial is on the northwest corner, and a rear gabled ell extends from the southwest corner. The earlier design included a turned baluster railing with Colonial Revival columns, which have been replaced by metal pipe. An historic photograph showed a one-story bay on the east elevation “that echoes the details and shape of the tower, but the bay is now incorporated into a side addition” (Miller, 1995). Sadie V. Thompson, an African American educator who moved to Natchez in 1899 to teach school dedicated her life to the education of the city’s African American children. She taught at Union School and later at the Brumfield school where she also was principal. She purchased this house in 1928. The 1954 new high school was named in her honor. When she died in 1963, Ms. Thompson willed her house to John Eddie West and George F. West, Jr., who used the house as a law office.
The iron fence and gate were made by the Rogers Iron Company in Springfield, Ohio. This design was patented November 22, 1881. The Rogers Fence Company was established in 1882, and in 1891, changed the name to Rogers Iron Company until 1905, when it was succeeded by the William Bayley Company. Bayley continued manufacturing until c. 2000 according to the Chicora Foundation.