Charing Cross Station is the access point for trains crossing the Thames on the Hungerford Bridge. This bridge was opened in 1864. In 2002, the Golden Jubilee footbridges were opened on either side of the Hungerford. The R. L. Hispaniola is a docked boat serving as a restaurant and bar. Partially visible on the bank between the trees and the station is the Playhouse Theatre.
The Hungerford is a steel truss railway bridge. The original Hungerford bridge was a suspension bridge which opened in 1845 and was named after Hungerford Market on the north side of the river. In 1859, the Charing Cross Station was opened on the north bank and the suspension bridge replaced.