This steel girder bridge was built in 1928, spanning the Clear Fork of the Brazos River in Young County. It sits a few miles east of the town of Eliasville.
The design is a “pass through truss” and the length of the span and the total length of the bridge is 120 feet.
The complete name of the river is “Los Brazos de Dio” or “The Arms of God.” There are several legends about how the river obtained its name, but history indicates it has been called that as early as the 1700s. The most widely known legend is that while Coronado and his men were searching for the fabled City of Gold, they were wandering West Texas dying of thirst when Indians led them to the stream, to which they promptly exclaimed, “Los Brazos de Dio!”
The Brazos rises at the confluence of its Salt Fork and Double Mountain Fork in Stonewall County. The forks emerge from the caprock 150 miles above the confluence, from the Llano Estacado. From there, the Brazos meanders 840 miles to the Gulf of Mexico in Brazoria County. Other forks include the Clear Fork (where the Eliasville Bridge spans the river), the Bosque and Little Rivers, the Yegua Creek, and the Navosota River. The Caddo Indians called the river Tokonohono.
There is at least one reference to the Brazos–the longest river in Texas–as “the Mississippi of Texas.”